ILR stands for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom. It is also known as settlement or permanent residency. ILR is a status that allows non-EEA (European Economic Area) nationals to live and work in the UK without any time restrictions. Once an individual has obtained ILR, they are no longer subject to immigration control and can stay in the UK indefinitely. With ILR individuals can live, study, work (without restriction), access public funds, access the UK’s National Health Service at no cost, and apply for British citizenship after 1 year.
To be eligible for ILR, applicants must have
- You have been living in the UK on a specific visa for a continuous period (you must not have been outside of the UK for more than 180 days).
- You are of good character
- You have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK (by taking the Life in the UK test) and the English language.
Visa Categories Leading to ILR
Several visa categories can lead to ILR, such as the Skilled Worker Visa (formerly Tier 2), Spouse Visa, Innovator Visa, and other work and family-related visas. Another popular option for those who have lived in the UK for at least ten continuous years. Under the ten-year long-residence route, it does not matter what type of visa you have held in order to qualify, as long as you have been living lawfully in the UK for this period of time can apply to ILR. If you want to know more about this then click a link https://www.gordonandthompson.com/ilr-under-10-years-route/
The application for ILR is usually submitted online, and applicants need to provide various supporting documents to prove their eligibility. The Home Office will consider factors like residence, work history, finances, and criminal record.
To apply for ILR, you must first ensure you are eligible as per the criteria laid out above. As long as you are eligible, you will need to complete the following steps to apply for ILR:
- complete and submit the appropriate online Indefinite Leave to Remain application form.
- pay the fee (ILR Application Fee)
- pay biometric residence permit fees.
- book an appointment with your nearest UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).
- provide documentary evidence as required by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Your Indefinite Leave to Remain documents can be uploaded online, or you can provide these when you attend your UKVCAS appointment.
- You may be invited to attend an interview if UKVI requires more information.
At Gordon and Thompson Solicitors, we understand the challenges and intricacies involved in the ILR application process. With our experienced team of immigration solicitors by your side, you can rest assured that your journey to permanent residency will be guided with expertise and care. We are based in Plumstead, Gillingham, Maidstone and Coventry. Please free to contact us today.
- 74The ability to remain in the UK is unrestricted if you have an Indefinite leave to remain visa. However, worry that their ILR status is just transitory because their biometric residence permit card has an expiration date. Gordon and Thompson Solicitors Lawyers specialising in indefinite permission to remain can advise on biometric…