We are always happy to remind immigrants to the UK of the need to continuously maintain their visas’ validity and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You can maintain your right to remain in the UK, as a skilled worker, or for any other reason, by taking the necessary steps before your visa expires.
When will your biometric residence permit expire?
The ‘valid to’ date on your BRP card indicates when it will expire. Usually, the start and end dates align with the ones on your visa; as a result, when your visa ends, so does your BRP. The Home Office normally issues BRP for ten years to persons with indefinite leave to remain (ILR).
Even when their visa or leave extends beyond this date, some people have received short-dated BRPs since 2020, with an expiration date of December 31 Dec 2024.
The Home Office will comply with updated EU encryption standards. If you have a BRP that expires sooner than December 31 2024, it does not always mean your leave will end on that day. Instead, you can use the Home Office’s online “view and prove” tool to show when your leave ends. Additionally, you can use the online right to work and right-to-rent services, if you must prove to a landlord or employer that you have lived somewhere for the appropriate time.
What to do If your UK residence permit is about to expire?
Gordon and Thompson Solicitors can help you renew your BRP. We will check if you have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or a visa to enter the country. Your BRP will usually expire when your visa expires if you have one to enter the UK. You must apply for a visa extension or renewal to renew your BRP. The Home Office will get a new BRP as soon as your visa is renewed.
Your current visa type (e.g., a spouse visa or a skilled worker visa) will determine the procedure and requirements for renewing or extending your visa. Please contact one of our immigration solicitors for a consultation if you require assistance with your visa extension.
Also Read: Overstayed UK Visa: Rule of Expired Visa
If your BRP card has expired or is going to expire and you have ILR:
Suppose your (BRP) is about to expire, and you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. In that case, you can apply to extend your permit using the Home Office’s “Update, replace or transfer BRP Service”4.
To renew your Biometric Residence Permit using the replacement BRP service, you must:
- Fill out the BRP(RC) form to renew it
- Apply renewal fee (more information on the fees due is shown below).
- Have your biometrics (fingerprints and a photo) taken by a UKVCAS service center.
When requesting a BRP replacement, you must supply the following documents:
- Identity documentation, like a passport.
- Council tax notices, electricity bills, or a letter from your employer are all acceptable evidence for proving that you have lived in the UK continuously (this requirement only applies if you were granted ILR more than two years ago).
- Photographs for passports.
- Currently BRP.
- Proof of a name change, if required.
When you fill out the application form, you will be given a detailed list of the documents you must provide.
What happens after submitting a BRP card renewal application?
The courier can deliver it to the address provided in your application form under the condition that you have requested a replacement for your expired BRP or have applied for a new visa and are currently awaiting the automatic delivery of your BRP. As per the guidelines provided by the Home Office, most applicants can expect to receive their BRP within 7 to 10 days following the receipt of their decision letter. You will receive your new BRP card in the UK if you apply for a new visa outside the country; generally, you may pick it up from a UK post office or your sponsor (such as your workplace).
Also Read: Know UK Immigration Solicitor Roles & Responsibilities
Most BRP issues, including BRP renewal before expiry, are quickly and easily remedied, giving you the confidence that you have the papers you need to stay in the UK legally. Legal experts and immigration solicitors of Gordon Thompson can help you if you require assistance with your visa extension or other UK immigration-related issues.
- 59The ability to remain in the UK is unrestricted if you have an Indefinite leave to remain visa. However, worry that their ILR status is just transitory because their biometric residence permit card has an expiration date. Gordon and Thompson Solicitors Lawyers specialising in indefinite permission to remain can advise on biometric…
- 32The United Kingdom has long been a favored destination for individuals seeking better opportunities, education, and a new beginning. Many individuals enter the UK on various types of visas, including the popular dependent visa UK category, which allows them to join their partners who are British citizens or settled persons in the UK. However,…