Family visas

You can apply for Entry Clearance to come and join your spouse or partner in the UK for more that 6 months. This in normally known as partner or spouse visa in UK. Alternatively you can apply for a visitor’s visa or fiancé(e) visa for up to 6 months.

Spouse and Partner visas

A Partner means:

  • husband or wife
  • civil partner
  • other partner who you’ve lived with for at least 2 years
  • To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over and your partner must also either:
    • be a British citizen
    • have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
    • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

Fiancé(e) visas

You can also apply to come and visit your fiancé(e) for up to 6 months to plan your wedding. Once married or in civil partnership, you can apply to stay as a spouse or civil partner.

You can also apply from inside the UK if the following apply:

  • You, the dependent have been given leave to enter or remain in the UK for more than 6 months
  • If your application gets rejected, you may be given the right of appeal. Our specialist immigration lawyers can assist you in making the application or appealing the refusal of entry clearance or leave to remain as a spouse or partner.

How long the visa lasts

The leave you will be granted will depend on your circumstances. You will normally be granted 33 months if you are applying for a family visa as husband, wife, civil partner or partner who have lived with the sponsor for more than 2 years.

After 2 years you can make an application to renew the family visa from the UK. You will normally be granted another 2 years and 6 months. After 5 years, you can apply for settlement provided you meet the requirements.

If you are applying as a fiancé(e) , you will be granted 6 months. You must marry or enter a civil partnership before the expiry of the visa. After, you can apply for further leave to remain as a spouse and you will be granted 2 years and 6 months provided you meet the requirements at the time of application. Apply for an extension and be granted another 2 years 6 months and there after apply for settlement if you meet the requirements.

Immigration law and asylum law are complex and changes from time to time. Should you need to apply, contact us for more information on 02071836547 or complete the form below. Alternatively you should seek independent legal advice from an immigration services provider.

You can get more information by visiting the links below:

  1. Family visa
  2. EEA National’s Dependents
  3. Apply as a parent
  4. Apply as a child
  5. Apply as an adult to be cared for by a relative
  6. Apply on the basis of your private life
  7. Knowledge of English
    Give proof of your income
  8. Information you must provide
  9. After you apply
  10. Apply in North Korea
  11. Family reunion
  12. Apply as a dependant of a Tier 2 (General) visa holder
  13. Apply as a dependant of a Tier 4 visa holder
  14. Read more

Contact us for more information on 02071836547 or complete the form below.

Leave a Comment


Gordon and thompson solicitors

We are regulated by

Helping Communities

gordon and thompson

We are regulated

SRA Logo

We are regulated

Our Latest Updates

Criminal Law
Complaints Policy
Costs information
Avocat pour accidents de la route

London Offices

Recent Posts